Friday 3 April 2015

P.I.L.O.T


            I climb into the cockpit and sit on the metal seat of the Russian made Sukhoi-27, one of the best fighter jets that ever invented. I run a routine check on all the aircraft's dials as well as the weapon systems through the heads-up displays.
            The run way officer gives me the thumbs-up sign from the far run way, indicating that all the external parts of the plane are in order and functioning well. I return the gesture to indicate that all internal systems are working well and that I will be taking off.
            I pushed the start button and feel the vibration begin. I hear the sound of the pure power. I feel the acceleration of the plane taking off the runway and into the air.....
            This was how I dream when I am sitting on my bicycle. I have always wanted to be a fighter pilot. My dream began when I was about 5 years old. One day, my father took me for an air show near my hometown. It was a momentous experience for me! I sat in the cockpit and I knew that I would never want to do anything as much as I wanted to fly.

            As I grew older, I began to read books on aviation and air adventures. My favourite book is ‘Take Off’. My father specially ordered it for me from UK. I learnt about plane parts and their function through reading these books.
            The requirements for fighter pilot candidates are many and difficult to fulfill. Among them are academic excellence, a fit body, and quick reflexes able to with stand pressure. I constantly started to work towards my goals. For that, I have always made time for exercise since my childhood. I play badminton regularly and I go for jogging at least 5 times per week. To be a fighter pilot we must keep our body fit. A pilot should be able to withstand the high pressure.
            In school, I concentrate on my study properly. I made sure I qualified for the science stream in upper secondary school. As a pilot must have a good understanding of physics and mathematics, I gave more focus to those particular subjects.
            But, my dream burst like a balloon when I was doing my Form Six. I couldn't see what my teachers writing on white board in classroom. I tried to focus on it, but my eyes failed to help me. That is the moment where my dream to be a fighter pilot came to an end. A fighter pilot must have perfect eyesight with any viewing aids. Full stop – that is what I did for my dream.

            Currently I am working as a teacher. I want to create fighter pilots for our nation. Fingers crossed! 

7 comments:

  1. superb dream...pilot...fuyooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwwwwwh *pat pat* but hey you've got the height already, puru. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never lose hope; you may not get to be a fighter pilot but you can still take up flying as a hobby. Get that pilot license and maybe one day you may get to fly your own private plane - even better! Dr. Husniah

    ReplyDelete